The following information is for general use and specific questions should be addressed
either through email or speaking to Town Hall.

What schools are located in Murphy?

Murphy has two elementary schools; Murphy Elementary and The Learning Center, in addition to Murphy Middle School and Murphy High School. Tri County Community College is also located five miles outside of the city limits in the Peachtree community

What health care access do I have in Murphy?

There are several options:

Erlanger Western Carolina Hospital is located just outside of the city limits at 3990 E U.S. Highway 64 Alt, Murphy, NC 28906. Erlanger operates the hospital 24/7. You can contact them at 828-837-8161.

An Urgent Care facility is operated by Erlanger and is located at 183 Ledford Street in Murphy. You can contact them directly at 828-837-4712.

The Cherokee County Health Department offers many services to local citizens. The health department lab is open Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. and 1 to 4:30 p.m. and Friday from 7 to 11:30 a.m. for your convenience. Regular clinic hours are 8 a.m. to noon and 1p.m. to 5 p.m.

Walk-ins are welcome for many services. The Health Department is now accepting walk-ins and appointments for clinic visits and sick visits. They accept all major insurances and also use a sliding fee scale for clinic charges.

The Health Department is located in Murphy at 228 Hilton Street, next to Murphy Elementary School. Their contact number is 828-837-7486.

What activities can I participate in?

So much! Numerous outdoor activities, restaurants and shops, an historic movie theater, a pool and wellness center, an historical museum, and so much more. Click to see the Cherokee Co. Chamber of Commerce and the Cherokee Co. Tourism Development Authority websites and contact information.



Does the Town have a Senior Service Center?

Cherokee County operates the Penland Senior Center, located near the Murphy Library and City Hall at 69 Alpine Street in downtown Murphy. The center provides meals, services, activities and other opportunities for citizens 60 years and over. It is publicly and privately funded and operates for all the senior adult community in Cherokee County. You can contact them at 828-837-2467.

Does the Town offer Veterans services?

Cherokee County operates a Veterans Service office in the courthouse administration building in the heart of downtown Murphy; 75 Peachtree Street, Murphy, NC 28906. Office hours are from Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. Contact number is 828-835-8663. In addition to the services offered, a Veterans Memorial is located in the heart of downtown Murphy at the intersection of Tennessee and Hiwassee Streets.

What transportation services are offered by the Town?

Cherokee County operates a transit system in an effort to provide affordable transportation services for all residents of Cherokee County. To view their fee schedule and other information, click on https://www.cherokeecounty-nc.gov/233/Transit. Their contact information is 828-837-1789. Operating hours are Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

What can I do at Murphy's Public Library?

Far more than you might realize. Murphy's public library offers free book and DVD rentals, computer services, reading programs for children, and so much more. Murphy Public Library is located at 9 Blumenthal Street, Murphy, NC 28906; The library is located right next to city hall. https://statelibrary.ncdcr.gov/ld/about-libraries/library-directory/murphy-public-library

How do I get power?

Call Murphy Power at 828-837-2211. Their offices are also located at 5 Wofford Street, Murphy, NC 28906.

How do I get water & sewer?

Wells and septic systems are permitted in the Town of Murphy under specific circumstances only. All property owners that have an accessible water main located within 300 feet of their lot, and an accessible sewer main located within 200 feet of their lot are required to hook-up to the Town system. Customers needing sanitary sewer service must have a water connection. To inquire about getting water and sewer service, please call 828-837-2510, ext.1 or ext.4

Who do I call after hours if I have a water or sewer emergency?

Call dispatch at 828-837-3144

How do I get Cell Phone, Phone, TV, and Internet Service?

How do I get phone service?

Landline phone service in Murphy is provided by Frontier Communications. You may also call 1-800-921-8101.

Who provides cell phone coverage in the Murphy area? 

Verizon Wireless, AT&T, US Cellular and T-Mobile.

Who offers internet service for the Murphy area? 

Frontier, Murphy Cable, Blue Ridge Mountain EMC, Sky Tec Communications

What about TV service?

The Town of Murphy does not operate a local cable/TV service. There are several options to choose from. Cable TV is offered by Murphy Cable. Satellite TV services by Dish and DirecTV are also available. 

How do I get garbage pick-up?

The Town of Murphy offers garbage pick-up for city residents only. The Town's sanitation crew picks up garbage for customers weekly. To see your pickup day, view the Town's sanitation page on this website. Sanitation services are built into the tax base; no fees are required to support the service.

How do I know if I live on a Town or NCDOT maintained Street?
What are the business hours for Town Hall?

Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Offices are closed from 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.

Do I need a permit to burn brush?

Burning permits are not required in the Town of Murphy, but residents are encouraged to obtain one at https://www.ncforestservice.gov/burn_permits/burn_permits_main.htm.

Does the Town of Murphy provide snow removal?

Yes, the Town provides snow removal for Town maintained streets.

Who do I call if I have murky water?

The Town conducts a flushing program that can temporarily disrupt the distribution system and private water lines. It is recommended that the customer flush their faucet continuously for about 5-10 minutes if this occurs. If the issue is unresolved, call the Town of Murphy at 828-837-2510, ext. 4.

How do I know what water/sewer line I am responsible for?

The customer is responsible for the water line beyond the Town of Murphy's meter, which is placed as close to the property's edge as possible. The customer is responsible for their sewer lateral from their property to the edge of the street pavement (DOT/Town Maintained Streets are treated the same).